This Spring Masonic Outreach Services focus is on home safety for older adults. Home safety is something we often take for granted – and when we don’t pay attention, the results can be tragic. The good news is that if you need assistance or a home safety review, our team at Masonic Outreach Services can help you avoid trouble before it happens .
Falls – The Centers for Disease Control reports that 55% of falls by older adults occur in the home, while an additional 23 % occur nearby and outside. Most of these falls are the result of falling on the same level (not stairs), so things like tripping over area carpets and low objects when walking can be a real problem.
Many falls are preventable, yet when seniors fall, the results can be terrible as the following grim statistics demonstrate. According to Age Safe America, “Falls account for 25% of all hospital admission and 40% of all nursing home admissions. 40% of those admitted will never return to independent living and 25% will die within one year.”
Fire – Injuries from fire are another major contributor to injury and deaths of older adults. In the same piece, Age Safe America reports that:
- People between 65 and 74 are nearly TWICE as likely to die in a fire.
- People between 75 and 84 are nearly FOUR times as likely to die in a fire.
- People ages 85 and older are more than FIVE times as likely to die in a fire.
- Careless smoking is the LEADING cause of fire deaths and second leading cause of injuries among people ages 65 and older.
- Heating equipment is the SECOND leading cause of fire death and the third leading cause of injury to people ages 65 and older.
- Cooking is the THIRD leading cause of fire deaths and the leading cause of injury among people ages 65 and older.
If you or a loved one would like to have one of our Certified Senior Advisor case managers pay you a visit to review your home safety give us a call. We can come to your home or apartment, review what is working and help you discover ways to improve your environment so you stay healthy, safe, and in your home. Our team can be reached at (844) 288-3531 Monday through Thursday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM and Fridays from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM. Our services are free. If you call after hours, please call (844) 288-3531 and go to extension 103 to leave a message and we will call you back on the next business day.